Glossary of "Ecology (6th ed.)" by Krebs (2009)
- organism that furnishes food, shelter, or other benefits to anther organism of a different species.
Glossary of "The Kew Plant Glossary (rev. ed.)" by Beentje (2012)
- the plant on which a prasite grows, and from which the parasite derives its food.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
Glossary of "Principles of Behavioral Genetics" by Anholt & Mackay (2010)
- 1: Any organism that provides food or shelter for another organism; the inhabited symbiont in an endosymbiosis q.v. or the exhabited symbiont in an exosymbiosis q.v.; may be a definitive host (infected by the mature adult stage) or an intermediate host (infected by developmental stages). 2: An animal that is the recipient of a tissue graft.
- Anholt, R. R. H. & Mackay, T. F. C. 2010. Principles of Behavioral Genetics. x + 334 pp. Academic Press, San Diego.
- Beentje, H. 2012. The Kew Plant Glossary: An Illustrated Dictionary of Plant Terms, Revised Edition. -xii + 164 pp. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.