Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- The organelle or plastid that contains chlorophyll in plants and algae and is the site of photosynthesis.
Glossary of Plant Systematics (1st ed.) by Simpson (2006)
- A double membrane-bound organelle with internal thylakoid membranes (lamellae and grana in the green plants), functioning in the reactions of photosynthesis. An organelle of some eukaryotes that functions in photosynthesis.
Glossary of "The Cell (5th ed.)" by Alberts et al. (2008)
- Organelle in green algae and plants that contains chlorophyll and carries out photosynthesis. A specialized form of plastid.
Glossary of "Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- Chlorophyll-containing organelles found in plant cells and essential to photosynthesis.
- Alberts, B., Johnson, A., Lewis, J. Raff, M., Roberts, K. & Walter P. 2008. Molecular Biology of the Cell, 5th ed. -xxxiii + 1268 pp. Garland Science, New York.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.