Glossary of "The Cell (5th ed.)" by Alberts et al. (2008)
- substance such as penicillin or streptomycin that is toxic to microorganisms. Often a product of a particular microorganism or plant.
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- An organic substance that retards the growth of or kills microorganisms. Examples are penicillin or streptomycin.
Glossary of "Biology (3rd ed.)" by Hardin & Bajema (1978)
- a biologically produced substance that can harm species other than the one that produced it.
- Alberts, B., Johnson, A., Lewis, J. Raff, M., Roberts, K. & Walter P. 2008. Molecular Biology of the Cell, 5th ed. -xxxiv + 1616 pp. Garland Science, New York.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Hardin, G. & Bajema, C. 1978. Biology, its Principles and Implications, third edition. -x + 790 pp. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.