Glossary of "Plant Systematics (1st ed.)" by Simpson (2006)
- A root arising from an organ other than a root, usually from a stem. (root type)
Glossary of "Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- Roots that grow from an unusual position, e.g. from the leaf or stem.
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- Roots developing from an unusual location such as stems or even leaves. From the Latin adventicius meaning "not belonging to."
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.