Glossary of Evolution (2nd ed.) by Futuyma (2009)
- A process of genetic change in a population whereby, as a result of natural selection, the average state of a character becomes improved with reference to a specific function, or whereby a population is thought to have become better suited to some feature of its environment. Also, an adaptation: a feature that has become prevalent in a population because of a selective advantage conveyed by that feature in the improvement in some function.
Glossary of Ecology (6th ed.) by Krebs (2009)
- any alteration in the structure or function of an organism by which the organism becomes better able to survive and multiply in its environment.
- Futuyma, D. J. 2009. Evolution, 2nd ed. -xviii + 633 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- Alberts, B., Johnson, A., Lewis, J. Raff, M., Roberts, K. & Walter P. 2008. Molecular Biology of the Cell, 5th ed. -xxxiii + 1268 pp. Garland Science, New York.
- Campbell, N. A. & Reece, J. B. 2005. Biology, 7th ed. -xl + 1231 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- Campbell, N. A., Reece, J. B., Urry, L. A., Cain, M. L., Wasserman, S. A., Minorsky, P. V. & Jackson, R. B. 2008. Biology, 8th ed. -xlvi + 1267 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.