mycorrhiza(e or -s)
Glossary of "Lichens" by Purvis (2000)
- Association of a fungus with a higher plant.
Glossary of "Plant Systematics (1st ed.)" by Simpson (2006)
- A symbiotic association between the root of a vascular plant and a fungus.
Glossary of "Ecology (6th ed.)" by Krebs (2009)
- A mutually beneficial association of a fungus and the roots of a plant in which the plant's mineral absorption is enhanced and the fungus obtains nutrients from the plant.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
Glossary of "The Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- A symbiotic association between a fungus and the roots of vascular plants.
Glossary of "A Botanist's Vocabulary" by Pell & Angell (2016)
- Fungus growing attached to a plant's roots and forming a symbiotic relationship with the plant; the fungus expands the plant's root system and delivers water and nutrients to the plant in exchange for sugars.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- Pell, S. K. & Angell, B. 2016. A Botanist's Vocabulary: 1300 Terms Explained and Illustrated. 226 pp. Timber Press, Portland.
- Purvis, W. 2000. Lichens. 112 pp. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.