endoplasmic reticulum (ER)
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- A network of flattened membrane sacs or tubes and vesicles that arise from them. Smooth ER makes fatty acids and phospholipids; rough ER makes proteins.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- A system of membranous tubes and flattened sacs sound in the cytoplasm of eukaryotes. Exists in two forms: rough ER, studded with ribosomes; and smooth ER, lacking ribosomes.
Glossary of Plant Systematics (1st ed.) by Simpson (2006)
- A cellular organelle consisting of interconnected phospholipid membranes that may function in material transport and as the site of protein synthesis.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.