buttress roots (or stilt roots / prop roots)
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- Roots produced by the trunks of many tropical trees that act as projecting supports to stabilize the trunks in thin tropical soils and high winds.
Glossary of Plant Systematics (1st ed.) by Simpson (2006)
- Enlarged, horizontally spreading and often vertically thickened roots at the base of trees that aid in mechanical support. (root type)
Glossary of "Evolution of Plants (2nd ed.)" by Willis & McElwain (2014)
- Root that is asymmetrically thickened on its upper side to provide extra support for a tree. Common in many tropical trees.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.
- Willis, K. J. & McElwain, J. C. 2014. The Evolution of Plants, 2nd ed. -ix + 398 pp. Oxford University Press, Oxford.