The printable version is no longer supported and may have rendering errors. Please update your browser bookmarks and please use the default browser print function instead.
Glossary of "Ecology (6th ed.)" by Krebs (2009)
- organism that obtains energy from the sun and materials from inorganic sources; contrast with heterotroph. Most plants are autotrophs.
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- An organism that is capable of producing its own organic food from inorganic materials.
Glossary of "Biology (3rd ed.)" by Hardin & Bajema (1978)
- an organism that can use CO2 as its only source of carbon.
Glossary of "Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet (2nd ed.)" by Botkin & Keller (1998)
- An organism that produces its own food from inorganic compounds and a source of energy. There are photoautotrophs (photosynthetic plants) and chemical autotrophs.
- Botkin, D. B. & Keller, E. A. 1998. Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet, 2nd ed. -xxxxii + 649 pp. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Hardin, G. & Bajema, C. 1978. Biology, its Principles and Implications, third edition. -x + 790 pp. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.