Glossary of Plant Systematics (1st ed.) by Simpson (2006)
- The series of biochemcal reactions in which light energy is used to produce high-energy compounds, in land plants involving reactions of carbon dioxide and water to produce polysaccharides.
Glossary of Ecology (6th ed.) by Krebs (2009)
- the series of chemical reactions in plants that results in the fixation of carbon from CO2 into some form of carbohydrate.
Glossary of Lichens by Purvis (2000)
- The process by which green plants containing chlorophyll use the energy of sunlight to produce carbohydrate.
Glossary of "Life (9th ed.)" by Sadava et al. (2011)
- Metabolic processes, carried out by green plants, by which visible light is trapped and the energy used to synthesize compounds such as ATP and glucose.
Glossary of "Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet (2nd ed.)" by Botkin & Keller (1998)
- Synthesis of sugars from carbon dioxide and water by living organisms using light as energy. Oxygen is given off as a by-product.
- Botkin, D. B. & Keller, E. A. 1998. Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet, 2nd ed. -xxxxii + 649 pp. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.
- Purvis, W. 2000. Lichens. 112 pp. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington.
- Sadava, D., Hillis, D. M., Heller, H. C. & Berenbaum, M. R. 2011. Life: The Science of Biology, 9th ed. -xliv + 1266 pp. Sinauer Associates, Inc., Sunderland.
- Simpson, M. G. 2006. Plant Systematics. -xi + 590 pp. Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford.