Glossary of "Ecology (6th ed.)" by Krebs (2009)
- organism that obtains energy from the sun and materials from inorganic sources; contrast with heterotroph. Most plants are autotrophs.
Glossary of "Plant Biology (1st ed.)" by Graham et al. (2003)
- An organism that is capable of producing its own organic food from inorganic materials.
Glossary of "Biology (3rd ed.)" by Hardin & Bajema (1978)
- an organism that can use CO2 as its only source of carbon.
Glossary of "Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet (2nd ed.)" by Botkin & Keller (1998)
- An organism that produces its own food from inorganic compounds and a source of energy. There are photoautotrophs (photosynthetic plants) and chemical autotrophs.
- Botkin, D. B. & Keller, E. A. 1998. Environmental Science: Earth as a Living Planet, 2nd ed. -xxxxii + 649 pp. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Graham, L. E., Graham, J. M. & Wilcox, L. W. 2003. Plant Biology. -xxxv + 497 pp. Pearson Education, Inc., Upper Saddle River.
- Hardin, G. & Bajema, C. 1978. Biology, its Principles and Implications, third edition. -x + 790 pp. W. H. Freeman and Company, San Francisco.
- Krebs, C. J. 2009. Ecology, 6th ed. -xvi + 655 pp. Pearson Benjamin Cummings, San Francisco.